A BRIEF HISTORY OF RANDALL’S CHAPEL
Randall’s Chapel, located near the banks of the Tennessee river, is believed to have originated in the 1830’s and was named for Thomas Randall, a well-loved circuit rider minister. It is believed that the church was involved in the mission work with the Cherokees before their removal over the Trail of Tears in 1838.
In 1873, a log church was built on two acres of land donated by Mr. and Mrs. John M.D. Wood. In 1908, a new clapboard building was erected in the middle of what later would become Highway 35. It housed the first Sunday school, organize by Mr. and Mrs. Dan Clemons, and served as a public school for many years. When Highway 35 was built in 1928-1929, the church was moved a few hundred years to its current location.
Until 1968, Randall’s chapel was a part of various circuits. According to a 1935-36 Year Book and Directory of the Scottsboro Circuit, Huntsville District, North Alabama Conference, “Randall’s Chapel Church” had 46 members and held regular meetings at 2:30 pm every first Sunday. In 1954, the church building was bricked and “enlarged and remodeled to meet the needs of a growing congregation.” During that time the UMW (formerly WSCS) was organized at Randall’s chapel, with Mrs. Sabina Sisk and Mrs. Gladys Cunningham among its charter members.
In a 1968 step of faith, Randall’s chapel withdrew from the Scottsboro Circuit to have its first full time pastor, the Reverend Jimmy R. Beck. A January 1968 article in a local newspaper lists an 11 am worship service each 1st and 3rd Sunday and a 7:30 pm service each 2nd and 4th Sunday, as well as Sunday School, youth fellowship, and choir practice. In September of that year the pastor did the first church newsletter, and the D.J. Crawford family donated land for a parsonage in the Cunningham Subdivision behind the church.
More growth occurred in the 1980’s with the construction of a new sanctuary and conversion of the old sanctuary into a fellowship hall, as well as the purchase of approximately 8 acres of adjoining property. The original parsonage was sold and replaced.
In the late 1990’s the congregation took another bold step of faith and approved a contemporary worship service. The first one was held in February 2000, after several months of prayerful planning, with approximately 30 worshipers. That number quickly grew to 100 or more, confirming the need for more space. In the fall of 2005, following several months of planning and challenges, a church addition was complete – a fellowship hall-worship center, nursery, bathrooms, classrooms and storage space. In 2007-2008 the parsonage was again sold and replace with a home in the Hood Subdivision. Although in recent years, Randall’s chapel has experienced the passing of many saints, it has been sustained by God’s love and grace and blessed with children and youth.